Potol Posto (Stripe gourd with poppy seed) is a famous Bengali cuisine and you can make this delicious and easy dish within 20 minutes. Potol is the other name of Stripe gourd or you can call it Parwal.I have adapted this from my Grandmother.
Poppy seeds are sweet and nutty in taste and can easily enhance the taste of any vegetable dish. These small kidney shaped seeds have no narcotic properties, because the fluid contained in the bud that becomes opium is present only before the seeds are fully formed. Methi / fenugreek seeds are other ingredients here to help you make a very good flavored dish. Good thing is, kids will love it too much as like as my girls and you can make this with any other vegetables as well.
You all know that, Poppy seed are good source of fatty acid, magnesium and zinc. Apart from this it is effective for constipation, abdominal irritation, inflammation and fever. As an Ayurvedic medicine poppy seeds are ground to paste to make a skin rejuvenating moisturizer. Without much ado, here is the recipe:
• 500 gm Potol/Parwal/Stripe gourd
• 1 tbsp mustard oil( you can use vegetable oil)
• 4 tsp Posto (poppy seeds)
• 2 green chilli’s
• 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
• 1/4 tsp fenugreek seed
• ½ tsp salt or as per taste
• ¼ tsp sugar or as per taste
• Grind poppy seeds and green chili together to get a paste.
• Peel off the stripe gourd and give a slit lengthwise.
• Heat oil in a pan and saute them for 10 minutes on low flame until becomes tender. Take it out from the oil and keep aside.
• Add fenugreek seeds to this preheated oil.
• Now add poppy seeds paste and turmeric powder and little water. Fry the masala for 5 minutes on low flame.
• Add cooked stripe gourd, salt and little sugar. Add little water and stir for a couple of minute. Cover it and let it cook for 5 minutes. Remove it from fire and pour in a serving bowl.
• Serve hot with steamed rice.
Duration: 20 minutes
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 4.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 236.4 mg
Potassium 364.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 2.3 g