Chingri macher malai curry is a famous Bengali recipe cooked with chingri mach (a common Bengali term used for lobsters, prawns or shrimps), coconut milk and spices. Coconut milk make this curry little bit sweet. Garam masala powder adds always a special flavor to my any dish.
Chinri macher malai curry
• 1 lb. large Prawn/Chinri Mach
• 1 tbsp mustard oil
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 tsp white cumin
• 1/2 tsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp garam masala powder
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 inch piece of ginger, grated or about 1 tablespoon ginger paste
• 5 piece garlic cloves (grated)
• chili powder, to taste
• 1 and ½ cup fresh coconut milk( here I use fresh homemade coconut milk )
• salt–to taste and coconut crust for serving.
• Peel and de-vein the prawns. Rinse them under cold water and pat dry.
• Put the Prawn in a bowl, add some salt and turmeric then toss them together and leave them for around 5 minutes.
• Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat
• Stir fry the prawns for 5 minutes.Put them aside.
• Use the left heated oil .
• Add the spices and stir for 2 minutes.Only garam masala you have to add at the last.
• Add the coconut milk.
• Let curry simmer away for about 10 minutes then add fried prawns.
• Slow cook it until the curry has thickened.
• Now add the garam masala.Decorate with some coconut crust before serving.
• Enjoy with steamed hot rice!
Duration: 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 6.3 g
Saturated Fat 3.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 712.1 mg
Potassium 45.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 14.7 g