The word Biryani, is traditionally associated with the Mughlai cuisine of Delhi and the Awadhi cuisine of Lucknow in North India. In South India, it is traditionally associated with the Hyderabadi cuisine.Here I want to share with you the Bengali style Biryani with my little bit twist.
Last weekend I have tried this by the help of Google and it was amazing to taste and was so simple to prepare.All the ingredients were at home only I had to buy the fresh chicken and good quality basmati rice. Here I serve the Biryani with Chicken Kassa (the recipe for chicken Kassa is on the way to share). I am planning to prepare the same dish in Bijaya Dashami get together for coming Durga Puja.
- Chicken- 500 grams (17 oz)(medium sized pieces)
Basmati Rice- 4 cups (washed and soaked)]
Potatoes- 4 (peeled and cut into halves)
Boiled egg-6 piece(optional)
Curd- 2 cups
Red chilli powder- 1tsp
Turmeric powder- 1tsp
Onions- 2+1 (chopped finely)
Ginger – 1 inch
Garlic- 7 pods
Green chillies- 3
Bay leaves- 4
- Green cardamom- 4
- Nutmeg (1/2 piece)
- Star anise(1 tsp)
- Cinnamon stick- 1
Saffron- 1 pinch
Rose water- 1tbsp
Kewra water- 1tbsp
tamarind water – 1 tbsp
Salt- as per taste
Ghee- 4 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken pieces with curd, red chilli power, turmeric and salt.
- Soak saffron and kewra in 1/4 cup of milk each.
- wash the rice and Drain away the water and keep the rice aside for the time being.
- Fry the potatoes and keep them aside.
- Grind the ingredients of garam masala ( nutmeg,star anise,peppercorns, cloves, green cardamom and cinnamon ) into a fine powder.
- Heat oil in deep bottomed pan. Saute 2 chopped onions in it. While the onions cook, grind ginger, garlic and green chillies into a thick paste.
- Add the paste to the pan when the onions turn golden. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the marinated chicken to pan and stir well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low flame. Add little water if required.
- Add a spoonful of the garam masala you have prepared.
- Now take a big metal pot and grease it with ghee. Make one layer of rice. And top it with a layer of chicken gravy and 2 potatoes.
- On top of this sprinkle some garam masala, fried onions,tamarind water, rose water, kewra and saffron (with milk).
- Now make consecutive layers of meat, potato,egg and rice till your ingredients end. The top layer must be of rice. Heat the rest of the ghee and pour it on the top layer.
- Add 7 cups of water.
- Now seal the mouth of the pot with wheat flour dough to tighten the lid and steam from coming out. Cook this on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- The Kolkata style biryani will be ready to eat.
Note: you can marinate the chicken the day before cooking.You can use garam masala powder instead of grind the ingredients of garam masala if you want to save your time.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 23.9 g
Saturated Fat 9.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 8.7 g
Cholesterol 264.4 mg
Sodium 2,538.8 mg
Potassium 1,187.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 36.7 g