Puli pithe is special dessert for Sankranti and I am sharing this recipe of Pithe which I learned from my Mother and Grand Mother.It is a Pithe which is Coconut-Jaggery or Khoa kheer filled Rice flour-white flour Dumplings in Thickened milk sweetened with Date Palm Jaggery.I have grown up eating, savouring and later craving for this delicious Puli Pithe. Yesterday I have made also the Rase Bheja Pithe and my daughters took part to prepare those pithe and we had a lots of fun. They were enjoying preparing the design for the pithe. After all, it was the chance to show the creativity.
- Milk – 1 litre
- Semolina ( sooji ) – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut /Khoa Kheer – 2 cups(here I have used khoa kheer)
- Date Palm Jaggery Solid ( Patali Gur/Nolen Gur ) – ½ kg
- Rice flour- 2 cup
- Flower ( Maida ) – 1 cup
- Boil the milk in a flat pan (dekchi ) for about 30 mins to “thicken” it with palm jaggery.
- Meanwhile, knead the rice flour,maida with hot water make a soft dough(add some pinch of salt if required)
- Stir suji on a frying pan and mix well with Khoa kheer.your stuffing is now ready.
- Make 12-14 small balls from the rice flour dough and after dusting it with the flower, make them into flat discs that can be converted into shells to hold the stuffings made in the previous step.
- Make the “puli” by placing the stuffing inside the shell and seal it
- Place the “puli”s one-by-one into the pan of boiling milk … do not stir, simply let them simmer for about 5 -7 minute.
- Remove from the heat and allow the pan of “puli”s to cool down to room temperature before serving.
Amount Per Serving:
Rase Bheja Pithe:
1 cup flour
½ cup suji
¼ cup khoa kheer
¼ cup milk
½ cup sugar
1 cup water
Mix well the first 4 ingredients well to make smooth dough.
Make small balls and give them your desired shape Deep fry them.
Make the chasni by boiling sugar and water.
Let keep the fried pithe in the chasni for 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving: