For last 6 months I have been practicing Yoga regularly for my fitness. There I can notice a huge change in my activities and my energy level. Practicing yoga has given me a great awareness of my body and mind. Now I can enjoy the calmness of my mind as Yoga helps me to get relief from stress. I only practice easy and simple yoga with my kids.
Those little stretching and relaxation yoga poses are truly helpful. One important point is that ,first time anyone can experience difficulties to do those poses, but day by day it will improve. You can take advice from any renowned Yoga Practitioner if you are suffering from any other health difficulties.
Here is some yoga posture which I follow: you need to do the poses as far possible.
Promotes balance and harmony.
- Sit in a legs-crossed position with the soles of your feet turned upward and heels pressed against the lower side of your abdomen. Keep your spine straight.
- Place your hands on your knees, palms up. Hold as long as you wish.
- This is one of the meditative postures. It imitates an inverted lotus flower. The head is held erect and the eyes closed during this posture.
Note:you can utter the holly word “OM” while doing Lotus Asana.Your softly utter “OM” one after another give you a feeling of ultimate calmness of mind.
Tree Pose (vriksasana):
This is a basic posture of balance and control. It is the foundation for good standing posture
- Stand in an erect position with your feet together. Press the feet flat against the floor as if to stretch them.
- Visualize a string through the spine pulling you upward, lifting the knees, hips and hamstrings.
- Equally distribute the body weight. Keep your abdomen in and chest
BACK STRETCH (PASCHIMOTTANASANA):
This increases spinal flexibility and strengthens the back.
- Get into a seated position with legs extended forward.
- Rest your hands on your thighs and straighten your spine.
- Raise your arms in front of you to shoulder level.
- Then proceed to raise them overhead, bending slightly backward.
- Bend forward to your knees.
- Grab your knees and hold the stretch for 10 seconds.
- Your head should be bent forward.
- Pull your body forward to your knees with the elbows bent outward. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Return to upright position, place hands on thighs and relax.
This removes tension from the spine and back, strengthens and firms the abdomen and buttocks.
- Lie face down with arms at sides and head resting on either side.
- Slowly bring your head to center and rest your forehead on the floor.
- Place your hands underneath your shoulders with your fingertips facing inward.
- Tilt your head backward and begin raising your trunk. Push your hands against the floor and slowly start straightening your arms. Hold extreme position for 10 seconds.
- Slowly tilt your head forward and lower your trunk back to start. Relax and concentrate on the feeling in the legs, back and abdomen.
SIMPLE TRIANGLE (TRIKONASANA):
This trims the waist line and relieves tension in the neck and back.
- Stand with feet wide apart.
- Slowly raise arms to sides until they reach shoulder level. Your palms should be facing down.
- Exhale and bend left until you can bring your left hand to your left knee.
- Keep your knees locked. Inhale and bring your right arm over as far as possible without bending the elbow. Hold the position for 20 seconds while breathing deeply and concentrating on the stretch.
- Slowly straighten and return to start.
- Relax for a moment, and then repeat to opposite side.
BALANCE POSTURE (NATARAJASANA):
This improves balance, coordination and quadriceps flexibility.
- Stand in the mountain pose. Inhale slowly and raise arm overhead.
- At the same time, lift your left ankle behind you and clasp it with your left hand. Shift your weight to the right side.
- Exhale and pull the left leg toward your body and lean forward slightly while looking forward.
- Your right arm will provide balance. Hold for 20 seconds. Slowly release and return to start. Repeat to opposite side.
Pictures and details of the postures taken from: