Yeah!! From today I have started my non vegetarian blog section .I am still learning the non vegetarian recipes of Bengal. Here is a preparation of chingri macher malai curry or shrimp curry with potato and pumpkin. This recipe is a great way to feed your kids vegetables .Shrimp is a high-protein, low-calorie alternative to other meats and fish as well.
Coconut milk and pumpkin make this curry little bit sweet. Chingri macher malai curry is a famous Bengali recipe cooked with chingri mach (a common Bengali term used for lobsters, prawns or shrimps), coconut milk and spices. Here I personally add the pumpkin and potato and make it less spicy.
Chinri macher malai curry with pumpkin and potato
- 1 lb. large shrimp
- ½ cup potato ( cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin( cut intio small pieces)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp white cumin
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated or about 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- chili powder, to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh coconut milk( here I use fresh homemade coconut milk )
- salt–to taste
• Peel and de-vein the shrimp. Rinse the Shrimp under cold water and pat dry.
• Put the shrimp in a bowl, add some salt and turmeric then toss them together and leave them for around 5 minutes.
• Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat
• Add white cumin, cardamom, cinnamon cloves and stir for 1 minute.
• Add the vegetables, remaining spices and stir again for 5 minutes.
• Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until they begin to turn pink.
• Add water, Once the mixture is simmering, add the last coconut milk.
• Let curry simmer away for about 15 minutes–until the curry has thickened.
• Enjoy with steamed rice!
Duration: 27 minutes
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 5.1 g
Saturated Fat 3.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 120.6 mg
Sodium 263.2 mg
Potassium 257.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 16.8 g